1. Joseph Rodney COFFEY was born on September 29, 1841 in Nelson Co., VA.1 He died on June 5, 1883 in Nelson Co., VA. He was buried in June 1883 in Holloway Coffey Family Cemetery, Nelson Co., VA.2
Joseph's burial site is unmarked.
Joseph Rodney COFFEY and Fluvanna Margaret (Maggie) COFFEY were married on October 15, 1868 in Nelson Co., VA.3
The marriage record indicates that Joseph was aged 17 yrs., 16 days old when he married on Oct. 15, 1868. That resolves to a birthdate of Sep. 29, 1841. They appeared in the census on September 1, 1870 in Nelson Co., VA.4 They appeared in the census on June 14, 1880 in Nelson Co., VA.5
Joseph and his family have not been found in the 1870 census.
Fluvanna Margaret (Maggie) COFFEY (daughter of Holloway Stewart COFFEY and Catherine (Kate) FITZGERALD) was born about 1850 in Virginia.
The marriage record for this couple indicates that Fluvanna was 22 yrs, 1 mo, and 14 days old when she married on 15 Oct. 1868. That resolves to a birthdate of 1 Sep 1846. This date does not agree with age given in the various census records. She was 20 yrs. old in 1870, meaning she was born c1850.
She appeared in the census on June 19, 1900 in Nelson Co, VA, enumerated as a widow in the household with her son, Albert H. Coffey. She died in 1934. She was buried in 1934 in Holloway Coffey Family Cemetery, Nelson Co., VA.
Margaret's burial site is unmarked.
Joseph Rodney COFFEY and Fluvanna Margaret (Maggie) COFFEY had the following children:
2 i. Albert H. COFFEY, born in July 1871, Virginia; married Mary J. FITZGERALD, on January 3, 1895, Nelson Co., VA6.
3 ii. Mary E. COFFEY, born about 1872, Virginia; married W. H. FITZGERALD, in January 1893, Nelson Co., VA7.
iii. Safonia COFFEY was born about 1874.
iv. Martha J. COFFEY was born about 1876.
2. Albert H. COFFEY (Joseph Rodney-1) was born in July 1871 in Virginia. He appeared in the census on June 14, 1880 in Nelson Co, VA, enumerated in the household with his parents.
There was a child named Atterson, age 11 months, in the 1870 census. Neither he nor Albert were with the family in 1880.
Albert H. COFFEY and Mary J. FITZGERALD were married on January 3, 1895 in Nelson Co., VA.6 They appeared in the census on June 19, 1900 in Nelson Co., VA.8 They appeared in the census on January 22, 1920 in Nelson Co., VA.9 Mary J. FITZGERALD was born in March 1876. Albert H. COFFEY and Mary J. FITZGERALD had the following children:
i. Huette W. COFFEY was born on January 20, 1896 in Virginia. He died in January 1968 in Amherst Co., VA.10
ii. Ethel B. COFFEY was born about 1901.
iii. Josie L. COFFEY was born about 1904.
3. Mary E. COFFEY (Joseph Rodney-1) was born about 1872 in Virginia.
Mary E. COFFEY and W. H. FITZGERALD were married in January 1893 in Nelson Co., VA.7 W. H. FITZGERALD was born about 1867.
1. Rootsweb. [http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/va/nelson/vitals/marr0001.txt. Birthdate is calculated from marriage record].
2. Ibid. [http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/va/nelson/cemeteries/c-cof02.txt].
3. Ibid. [http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/va/nelson/vitals/marr0001.txt].
4. Ancestry.com. United States Federal Census [database online]. Provo, Utah: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2004. Original data: United States Federal Census for years indicated. 1870 Nelson Co., Dist. 2, Massies Mill Twp., Lovingston PO, Page 68, dwelling 533, family 558, Coffey, Joseph B., age 32, male, white, farm laborer, born VA; Margaret, age 20, female, white, keeping hosue, born VA; Atterson, age 11 mos., male, white, born VA.
5. Ibid., 1880 Nelson Co., ED113, Moser Mills Dist., Page 15, dwelling/family 118, Coffey, Joseph R., white male, age 40, married, farmer, born VA, parents born VA; Fluvanna M., white female, age 32, wife, married, keeping house, born VA, parents born VA; Mary E., white female, age 8, dau., born VA, parents born VA; Safonia
6. Marriage Register, Nelson Co., VA - Part 1 is from Marriage Register, Book No. 2, 1854 - 1926 and and only includes entries for Allen and Coffey surnames thru 1899. See the files located at: http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/va/nelson/vitals/marr0001.txt, Part 1, Page 87, Line 1. 3 Jan 1895, A. H. Coffey, age 25 yrs., to M. J. Fitzgerald, age 21 yrs; parents of groom: J. R. and F. M. Coffey; parents of bride: V. A. and Martha Fitzgerald.
7. Ibid., Part 1, Page 81, Line 9. Jan. 1893, W. H. Fitzgerald, age 26 yrs., to M. E. Coffey, age 21 yrs., 6 mos; parents of groom: father not given, mother Judy; parents of bride: J. R. and Maggie Coffey.
8. Ancestry.com. United States Federal Census [database online]. 1900 Nelson Co., Massies Mills Dist., ED85, Sheet 12A, dwelling/family 209, Coffey, Altert, head, white male, born Jul 1871, age 28, married 5 yrs., born VA, parents born VA, farmer; Mary J., wife, white female, born Mar 1876, age 24, married 5 yrs., mother of 1, 1 living, born VA, parents born VA; Hewitt H., son, white male, born Jan 1896, age 4, born VA, parents born VA; Fluvanna, mother, white female, born Mar 1861, age 39, widow, mother of 7, 4 living, born VA, parents born VA.
9. Ibid., 1920 Nelson Co., Massies Mill Dist., ED107, Sheet 9A, dwelling 149, family 150, Coffey, Albert H., head, male, white, age 41, married, born VA, parents born VA; Mary J., wife, female, white, age 42, married, born VA, parents born VA; Huette
10. Social Security Administration. Social Security Death Index, Master File. Provo, Utah: MyFamily.com, Inc. HUETTE COFFEY 20 Jan 1896 Jan 1968 24521 (Amherst, (none specified) 224-09-2684 Virginia.