George W. Davis is the owner of an excellent farm property in Competine township and his possessions are the visible evidence of a life of well directed energy and thrift. He was born October 9, 1853, and is a son of William and Priscolla (Mowery) Davis, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of Ohio. In 1852 the father came to Iowa. His marriage occurred in Jefferson county, this state, and he established his home upon a farm in Wapello county. Mr. Davis at once began to till the soil and in due time gathered good crops. Year by year he carried on the work of the farm until he was called to his final rest in 1903. He is still survived by his wife, who has reached the advanced age of eighty years. In their family were eight children, of whom George W., E. D., C. F., O. C., and B. F. are all residents of Competine township. I. O. makes his home in Pleasant township. Ida is the wife of L. B. Ulery of California, and Mary is the wife of S. J. Ulery, whose home is in Ontario, California.
George W. Davis, Sr., spent his youthful days under the parental roof and during that period acquired a public-school education, while later he concentrated his energies upon farm work. He had liberal training in the best methods of tilling the soil, and his practical experience well qualified him to take charge of a farm of his own when he started out in life on his own account. He purchased two hundred and ninety-seven and a half acres of land on section 2, Competine township, and at once began to improve the property by the developement of the fields and the erection of good buildings. He now has an attractive and commodious residence and substantial barns and sheds. He utilizes the latest and improved machinery in the work of the fields and he keeps on hand good grades of stock. Everything about his place is attractive by reason of the spirit of thrift and enterprise which there prevails.
On April 5, 1879, Mr. Davis was married to Miss Anna Coffey, who was born in Missouri, a daughter of Thomas and Mary (Dalten) Coffey, natives of Ireland, whence they came to America in 1848. At first they located in Ohio and afterward removed to Missouri, where both Mr. and Mrs. Coffey passed away. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Davis were born four children, C. O., C. A., L. A. and G. C., but the last named is now deceased.
Mr. Davis belongs to Abingdon Lodge, No. 104, A. F. & A. M., and in his life exemplifies the beneficent spirit of the craft. His political support is given the democratic party, and for fifteen years he served as town assessor and clerk, proving most capable in the discharge of his duties. For thirty years he has been a member of the school board, and the cause of education finds in him a warm friend. His energies and activities have placed him in a prominent position as a successful agriculturist and as a representative and reliable business man.
Source: History of Wapello County, Iowa, Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1914, 1064 pgs, Page 417: George W. Davis, Sr.