Tillman Taylor Coffey was the son of John Taylor and Sarah Adeline (Sofie) Gates Coffey. Tillman was the eighth of 10 children born to that union. He was born Mar. 23, 18971 in Svenson, Clatsop Co., OR, and died Aug. 1, 19902 in Astoria, Clatsop Co., OR.
He married Gladys A. Morse, but a marriage date has not been found. It was likely in 1915 or 1916 because in the 1920 Clatsop Co. census he and Gladys had a child, June J., age 3 years, 11 months old. However, when Tillman registered for the draft in 1918 he did not indicate that he was married, and in fact named his father, J. T. Coffey as his nearest relative. Gladys was born Jul. 9, 1899 in Portland, Multnomah Co., OR and died 1965 in Astoria, Clatsop Co.
Some researchers list 11 children for Tillman and Gladys.
The 1920 census names their children as:
- Gladys E., age 7 mos [est. birth 1919]
The 1930 census names their children as:
- Unice J., age 14 yrs. [est. 1916; probably the child named Junes in 1920]
- Gladys E., age 10 yrs. [est. birth 1919-20]
- Vera A., age 7 yrs. [est. birth 1922-23]
- Bernice L., age 5 yrs. [est. birth 1924-25]
- Mamie H. , age 3 yrs., 4 mos. [est. birth 1926-27]
- John T., age 9 mos. [est birth 1929]
Other children that I have found listed for Tillman and Gladys are David, Mae, Vernon, and William. If these were their children, they would have been born after 1930.
If anyone can confirm their children, please contact me.
1 WW1 Draft Registration Card [medium height and build with brown eyes and hair]
2 Oregon Death Index, 1903-1998 [Oregon State Archives and Records Center]