Pages

December 26, 2006

Ethelyn E. Coffey

I have just received the following from Larry Jones, a long time Coffey researcher:

Perhaps all of you already know but I just received word from her daughter that long time Coffey researcher Ethelyn E. Coffey has died. She passed away on November 10 after her 3rd battle with cancer.

I never had the pleasure of meeting her but we corresponded regularly after I contacted her years ago while looking for information on my Coffey ancestors. Most of her research was done before computers and she was meticulous as she searched courthouses and librarys for her husbands Coffey ancestors.

She was so generous with sharing her research and I have shared her research with many others. It probably would have taken me many years to find all the information she shared with me if I could have found much of it at all.

I should have realized something was wrong when I didn't hear from her for several months but I was busy getting my house ready to sell and didn't notice. I just received the word today after my Christmas card was forwarded to her daughter who was kind enough to notifiy me.

She will be missed!

Larry Jones


I seem to remember that Ethelyn's husband was descended from Martin Coffey, born c1762 in VA. The last time that I heard from her she resided in Mt. Sterling, KY. I can only echo Larry's sentiment that "She will be missed!" I have an awful lot of information in my Coffey files that are attributed to her research.

No comments: