January 9, 2007
Clayton McDonald Coffey (1903-1992)
Clayton McDonald (Mack) Coffey was born Jun. 1, 1903 in Avery Co., NC. He was the first child and oldest son of Samuel Monroe and Safari Josephine Dellinger Coffey.
He married Lani Esther McCroskey and they were the mother of my Watauga Co., NC correspondent, Margaret Coffey Farley. Lani Esther was born Dec. 13, 1910 in Coffey's Gap, Watauga Co.
Clayton and Esther's children were:
- Bertha May, who married Vencil Akers
- Gladys Virginia, who married Sherman Eugene Bailey
- Nellie Alilene, who married Floyd Carl Coffey, son of Thomas Leroy and Alice Sanders Coffey. Floyd and Nellie were very distant cousins.
- James Edward, who married 1) Estelle Levy, 2) Yaeshie Yong
- Margaret Josephine, who married 1) Kinney Eugene Ellis, 2) Vivian Edward Farley
- Clayton McDonald
- Lonnie Ray, who married 1) Arlene Dishner, 2) Dorothy Creighton*
- Steven, an adopted son
Photos courtesy Margaret Coffey Farley, Winston-Salem, NC
*Corrected spelling 12/18/2007