This photograph is of Samuel Monroe and Safari Josephine (Josie) Dellinger Coffey. With them is their grand-daughter, Linda Thompson, child of Sam and Josie's daughter Minnie who married William Thompson.
Samuel was born Jan. 17, 1881 in North Carolina, a son of Eldelano (L.D.) Coffey and Mary E. Austin. He died Aug. 20, 1970 in North Carolina.
Josie was born Jan. 1, 1883 in North Carolina, a daughter of Thomas and Eveline McKinney Dellinger. She died Mar. 19, 1979 in North Carolina.
Sam and Josie were parents of twelve children:
- Clayton McDonald (Mack), born Jun. 1, 1903, died Jun. 11, 1992 married Lany Esther McCroskey in Mountain City, Johnson Co., TN. They had eight children: Bertha May, Gladys Virginia, Nellie Alilene, James Edward (Jim), Margaret Josephine, Clayton McDonald, Jr., and Lonnie Ray. Another son, born 1959, was Steven who was adopted by Clayton and Lany.
- Alberta (Bertie), married three times. Her first husband was Andrew Jackson (Andy) Jennings with whom she had eight children: Essie (?), Pansy, Claude, Paul Van, Mable Christine, Peggy Ann, Essie and Virginia Dare. Her second husband was Abner J. Loudermilt with whom she had one child, Ronnie, born c1927. Her third husband was Clyde Johnson with whom she had one child, Essie.
- Minnie married William L. Thompson Sep., 1934 in Watauga Co. They had at least four children: Carolyn, J. T., Charles, and Linda.
- Lydia Eva, born Jul. 29, 1914, married William Thurman Gragg. Children were: Harold, Beauford Dean, Lewis Dayton, Jack, Niola and Richard.
- Wilson Woodrow, born Sep. 26, 1916, died Jun. 21, 1994, married Ethel Vada Coffey, daughter of Thomas Leroy (Tom) and Alice Sanders Coffey. Their children were: Douglas, Daniel, Emma Elizabeth, Maude Aleen, Betty Ann, Dennis Charles, and Rebecca Kay.
- Woodrow Wilson, born Sep. 26, 1916, died c1932
- Oscar Joseph, born Dec. 2, 1917
- Deatte Elsie, born May 29, 1920, married first to Lonnie Byrd and had one child, Lonnie, Jr. She married second to Howard Milton Bolick and had five children: Phyllis Ann, Gerald Keith, Sheldia Jean, Thomas Dale and Gail.
- Alfred Boyd, born May 21, 1922 married Mary Etheline Woodie and had children: Kathleen Mary, Lela Ann, Alfred Jr., John Samuel, Roger Dallas, Deborah Kay, and Linda Bernice.
- Pauline, born Dec. 21, 1924, married Otis Arthur Bell and had children: Bobbie Jean, Otis Wayne, Rhonda Gene and Chris Allen.
Additional information is available. Please send additions and/or corrections to me at the e-mail address below.