Pages

March 5, 2007

How to Create a Convoluted Family History

William Obediah Gragg, referred to in some genealogies as "Revolutionary Bill," married his second wife, Nancy Coffey, the daughter of Joseph and Isabella Lindsay Coffey. William was born Apr. 15, 1878 in Virginia and died Oct. 20, 1847 in North Carolina. Nancy was born c1816 in Burke Co., NC and died in 1887, Caldwell Co., NC.

William's first marriage was to Elizabeth Pulliam, probably in the late 1700's, and perhaps in Virginia. One of their children was David Obediah Gragg, born Jul. 4, 1796 in Albemarle Co., VA, and died 1846 in Caldwell Co.

William's marriage to Nancy Coffey produced at least two children: Indiana Isabella, born c1838, died 1909; and G. L. Taylor, born c1846 in Burke Co., died Nov. 4, 1925 in Avery Co.

David Obediah married Elizabeth Webb c1820 in Caldwell Co. Elizabeth was born Mar. 25, 1794 in Caldwell Co., and died in that county in 1881. I have found 10 children for them, one of which was Edmond, born c1829 in Burke Co.

Edmond married his aunt, Indiana Isabella Gragg on Mar. 10, 1857 in Caldwell Co. They had at least six children, all of which were also his first cousins. Indiana was also their grand aunt.

Mary Gragg, one of Edmond and Indiana's daughters, married Joseph Burgess Coffey, her double first cousin1, and a son of Brice Brisco and Susannah (Sookie) Gragg.

Larkin Henderson, another of Edmond's children, married his first cousin1, Lee Ella Gragg, daughter of G. L. Taylor and Elizabeth E. Pendley Gragg.

I hope I have this correct! If not, please send corrections and/or additions.







1 Also first cousin, once removed

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a website at www.gregg-graggancestry.com for the Gregg and Gragg families with photos of many Gragg's and Coffey's. Grace Gragg gemstoneqt@yahoo.com

LisaG said...

Jack,
I am a Gragg descendent from William Obediah Gragg "Revolutionary Bill" My grandfather was Lewis Burgin Gragg (b.1903, NC) his father was Simeon Baird Gragg, son of Johnson and Nancy Jane Gragg. Looks like the Coffey and Gragg families are intertwined! This is fascinating to me and the more I found out, the more I want to know. For some reason, I am missing the link between Johnson and William Obediah (Jr.), I am searching my papers to see if I can figure it out. Please feel free to contact me at lgragg61@gmail.com - Thanks.