Pages

December 31, 2007

Happy New Year!

This new year ushers in my 69th on earth and 49th in marriage! I've been researching family ties since the early 1980's, and have been blessed with an understanding wife who has followed me around the world in both my military and civilian life in pursuit of various goals. She has (more or less) supported me in all of my hobbies. I have been a fox hunter, with all that entails, a radio amateur (WD5ELJ, WS5X, 9V1UQ, and currently W5JKC) and since 1978-9 when I bought my first Tandy TRS-80 Model 1, a "computer freak" (as she tells her friends) "with a weird habit of reading obituaries from all over the country."

She is also a licensed radio amateur with the call sign WB5TQL. The TQL part does NOT stand for "tender, quiet and loving." Well, maybe T and L is accurate, but surely not Q!

Neither of us are any longer active on the bands, but we do keep out licenses current.

For the most part 99.9% of all researchers that I have met over the course of my "genealogical life" have been great people. Many of them have remained great friends over the years to both me and my wife. Hopefully, I have been just as good a friend to them.

Forgive me while I digress!

The purpose of this blog is to provide information, seek to make it accurate and, to give it to as many people as need it. Errors are a given. It's up to you to correct them.. I am always glad to hear from anyone who can provide correct info on any family I write about.

Only occasionally does someone come along with an attitude that really chaps my $@#!

Fortunately, that happened only once in 2007. It was a tirade-turned-hissy-fit by someone who failed to recognize that what I do here is neither advertised as 100% accurate, nor is 100% accurate. Neither is it 100% inclusive. That is, I might not have found all children; some names may be spelled incorrectly, etc. It's sometimes difficult to determine just how a person's first name was spelled, or even what it really was. Family members may have grown up hearing it said one way and spelled it phonetically when they put together the family tree.

That very thing arose the other day when I received a very nice e-mail from someone whose ancestor's first name was Dorothy. Someone else had written to me earlier about her and had spelled her name as Dartha. Names being what they are - labels applied by our parents - it's impossible for me to determine if a name given to me by a descendant is accurately spelled.

At any rate, the greater majority of readers understand and relate courteously to what I attempt to do here.

I am grateful and thank you for your support!

Digression over!

One of my resolutions for 2008 is to continue to put together the best documented genealogy that I can of the descendants of Edward and Ann Powell Coffey. That project has turned into a more-or-less genealogy of the descendants of their son John and his wife Jane Graves. I don't know of any researcher who descends from any of Edward and Ann's other children. And, I have yet to meet a researcher interested in Ann's sons, William and Thomas, by her second marriage to a Mr. Duling (Dulin, Dula, Dooling?). They of course, would be half-siblings to her children by Edward.

Feel free to write, ask questions, make corrections, or even to just say 'Hi-de!'

Be nice, and please have a safe New Year!


















*Bulletin Board Service

No comments: