Pages

January 18, 2008

The Will of Nancy R. Monroe Coffey

Peter C. Coffey was the son of Edmund and Elizabeth Burgher Coffey, and was born c1802 in Nelson Co., VA.

I Nancy R. Coffey, wife of Peter C. Coffey, being of disposing mind and memory, do make, ordain, and declare this to be my last will and testament, hereby revoking all previous wills, testaments and codicils of every description whatsoever. I leave to my Executor, named in this will, all of my personal and real property upon the following trusts and for no other purpose whatsoever, namely -

1st. I direct that my Executor - (with the exception of a good bed and bedding, and a horse known as "the Blue Horse" and called "Barny," the title to both of which I desire that shall be held in trust, but the possession of which I desire to be turned over to my husband Peter C. Coffey) sell all of my personal property, and at this discretion as to suitable time. My whole real estate paying first all just debts that may be justly chargeable against me or my estate.

2nd. Out of the proceeds of the sale of my property, I direct that my Executor apply such amount to the comfortable support of my husband Peter C. Coffey as the court may deem sufficient. The remainder to be invested by my said Executor in Richmond City Bonds. The interest as well as the principal under the guidance of the court to be subjected to the support and suitable maintenance of my said husband as far as _____ - the remainder to continue in trust.

3rd. If not inconsistent with the above support of my husband after all debts above indicated are paid, I direct that my Executor pay as soon as practical after my death to my faithful servants Elizabeth Brown the sum of twenty dollars, and to William Monroe fifteen dollars current money of the United States, and in any court. I direct that my said Executor shall each ____ charge against my estate the sum of twenty dollars for the said Elizabeth Brown and fifteen dollars for the said William, the said annual charges to continue at interest against the trust fund, and at the death of the said Peter C. Coffey, my husband, the said charges annually made with accumulated interest to be paid over in fee simple to the said Elizabeth Brown, and the said William Monroe respectively or to their heirs.

4th. All the rest and residue of my property thus placed in trust, that may be remaining at the death of the aforesaid Peter C. Coffey and after the above requirements are complied with, and the funeral expenses of Peter C. Coffey are paid out of the same, I direct my Executor to convey by proper instrument of writing to such officer, officers, trustee, or trustees, as may be designated by the authorities of the "Church House" of the City of Richmond Virginia (an organization, institution __ _____ recently established by the Protestant Episcopal Church or portion of such community in the city of Richmond Virginia) as proper to receive the same, to the end that the aforesaid remainder of the trust from my estate may continue forever as an interest bearing fund and in trust for the benefit of the said "Church House" aforesaid.

5th. I hereby appoint James L. Hubard of the County of Nelson Virginia my executor and request that he execute the trusts of this will.

6th. This will has been written at my usual place of residence in the County of Nelson. Witness my hand and seal this twenty third day of January eighteen hundred and seventy seven. Jan 23rd 1877 -

Nancy R. Coffey (Seal)

This is to certify that the above will was duly acknowledged to us by the Testatrix in accordance with law. We being present at the same time and in the presence of each other.

25th day of January 1877.

C. N. Patteson x
John H. Hight x


In Nelson County Court Jany 22, 1883. This instrument of writing purporting to be the last will & testament of Nancy R. Coffey decd, was this day produced into Court and partly proved by the oath of John H Hight one of the subscribing witnesses thereto and ordered to be held for further proof - and in Nelson County Court Feby 26th 1883. This instrument of writing purporting to be the last will and testament of Nancy R. Coffey, was this day again produced into Court for further proof and was thereupon fully proved by the oath of C. N. Patteson the other subscribing witness thereto, and thereupon ordered to be recorded as the true last will and testament of said Nancy R. Coffey decd, and on the motion of James L. Hubard the Executor therein named, who made oath as the law directs, entered into bond in the penalty of $4000.00 conditioned according to law, with T. P. Fitzpatrick his security therein, who justified as to his sufficiency, and which said bond being acknowledged by the obligation therein is ordered to be recorded. Certificate is granted the said James L. Hubard for obtaining probate of said will in due form.

Teste W. M. Hill, Clk


Source: Nelson Co., VA Will Book N, Page 246

No comments: