Pages

April 10, 2008

Elsie Matthews Coffey (Updated 4/13/08)

The death of Elsie Matthews Coffey of McCreary Co., KY was announced today in the McCreary County Record of Whitley City, KY.

She was born at Jones Hollow, Kentucky on March 3, 1928 the daughter of the late Marcus and Flonnie Phillips Matthews. Her husband was Grover Conley Coffey, who I believe was a son of Benjamin Franklin Coffey, Jr., and Sallie Belle Clark.

Please contact me at the above e-mail address if you can confirm Grover's parents.

Click on the title link to view Elsie's obituary, and to view her photograph.

Update Apr 13, 2008:

Nettie Coffey, a daughter of Benjamin Franklin Coffey and wife Martha Cecelia Dobbs, was born Jun. 10, 1881 in KY, and died Feb. 20, 1973 in McCreary Co., KY. She married George Phillips on Jan. 24, 1906 in KY. He was born c1884 in Wayne Co., KY and died Jul. 25, 1974 in McCreary Co.

They were parents of at least three children: Flonnie, born Oct. 22, 1906; Mattie, born Aug. 13, 1908; and Otto, born Jul. 3, 1910.

Flonnie married Marcus Matthews. They were the parents of Elsie.

Elsie married Grover Conley Coffey, son of Benjamin Franklin Coffey, Jr.




L-R: Sally Clark, w/o Ben'j Franklin Coffey, Jr.; Flonnie Phillips Matthews, d/o Geo. and Nettie Coffey Phillips (Nettie sister of Ben'j, Jr.); Adina Coffey, dau. of Sally and Ben'j; Mattie Phillips, sister to Flonnie; Lee Roy Coffey, s/o Sally and Bej'j; Dovie Coffey; and Dorothy Coffey, d/o Sally and Ben'j.

Not yet sure who Dovie belongs to.

Photo courtesy Ola Jackson 4/08

2 comments:

jvann said...

I love this photo! Mattie was my grandmother, she married Sheridan (Sherdie) Dobbs and they had 10 children, including my mother Kathleen Dobbs. I recall my mother mentioning Dovie and believe I've seen her in census records. When I get a chance to learn more I'll be happy to share. Thank you for sharing this wonderful photo! I don't have any photos of my grandmother and really enjoyed this.

Janice Vann

Mrs. Spencer said...

Martha Adina Coffey-Gibson is my Grandma. My Dad always referred to Dovie as his Aunt.