Pages

April 27, 2010

2010 Coffey Cousins' Reunion

As expected, the 2010 Coffey Cousins' Reunion was lightly attended. It could have been caused by distance involved or, perhaps it was the economy. Many people just do not have the discretionary funds. Still, 20 regular supporters from across the country did attend along with a number of friends of our hostess Jean Coffee Mower and her husband, Wayne.

My wife and I drove from Louisiana to Delaware on a route that took us from Louisiana through Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Delaware. The return route was down the I-5 corridor to DC. From there we nosed the car towards Virginia, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi. That totaled seven days, 3151 miles and 60.5 hours behind the wheel.

The cost of gasoline wasn't too bad. It is definitely more expensive across the mid-west and east than it is in the southern part of the country! The most expensive was in Pennsylvania where we paid $2.959 for regular Exxon-Mobil.

"My Friend Freddy"
This driving adventure was good. It added five new states in which our 14-year old Brittany, "My Friend Freddy" has scratched and sniffed. He has now been coast to coast and border to border.

We drove on a number of US highways and at least 12 different interstate systems: I-10, I-12, I-20, I-30, I-40, I-49, I-59, I-66, I-70, I-75, I-76, I-81 and, the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Except through major cities, traffic was mostly light. We drove through Baltimore and DC on Sunday to avoid traffic headaches associated with those cities. The heaviest traffic encountered was on southbound I-59 in Alabama where we got caught up with race fans headed home from Talladega. Of course, the ever present 18-wheelers were constantly blowing by us at 75 to 80 MPH. We drove the speed limit, sometimes a few miles under. According to the GPS, our average speed over the entire trip was 52 MPH. We saw a couple of accidents that appeared to be serious enough for several fire trucks and EMS ambulances to respond.

Interstate repairs were on-going. For the most part, I found all of the ones we were used to be in better condition than I remember from previous years. Delays caused by on-going repairs were minimal.

I discovered that my GPS cannot be trusted 100%! When we neared our destination in DE, it led us off the PA Turnpike and onto surface streets,  We crossed back and forth between PA and DE, through beautiful rural areas, across a covered bridge, down a long, private drive and finally to our hotel! I haven't a clue why the GPS did that - it was certainly neither the shortest in time nor distance.

The next reunion will be held in Indepence, MO. A date has not yet been decided, but it will likely be around the same time of year. We always try to meet before Mother's Day so every one can be back home for that celebration.

More later!

No comments: