Pages

March 12, 2020

Found A Find-A-Grave Ass


I ran into a real Find-A-Grave ASS recently!

The user calls herself "Lonewalker" and has added almost 38,000 entries, likely pulled from books published by genealogy societies.  It is likely that none have walked that many graves in so many cemeteries in 11 years.

I wrote her a friendly note suggesting that one of her posts for a Caffey might be a Coffey because the info on his burial site matches one of my Coffey descendants from Edward and Ann Powell Coffey.

This morning I received a return reply and this is the way it began:

"Good morning, there is nothing about this memorial but rather about the suggested edit you sent regarding John Caffey. Since you have made it clear you do not wish to be contacted in regards to anything having to do with editing or maintaining memorials on your about me page yet here you are sending me a suggested edit for my great grandfather."

She then goes on in a seemingly intelligent manner, providing reasons why her Caffey is not my Coffey.  Too bad she had to begin her reply with such a rant!

I am guessing from her reply that she never read the reason why I asked not to be messaged with requests for changes.  Although I never blocked messages, that never stopped other users from contacting me and I continue to react to all requests on a "time  available" basis which depends on how I feel after fighting cancer for the past seven plus years! 

She has turned off the ability for anyone - especially me, I presume - from contacting her. She has also made it clear that her FAG photos are copyrighted and none can be used by anyone else yet she claims to be preserving history for future generations.

Oh well!





No comments: