Pages

June 29, 2008

Albert Coffee and Lula Bell Melson

In an earlier blog I wrote about locating Lafayette Jackson Coffee,  a previously unknown son of my GGG-grandfather Lilburn Coffee and his second wife, Lucinda Sutton.  As I began to investigate Lafayette and his descendants, I located Albert Coffee and his wife Lula Bell Melson who were married in Hempstead Co., AR on Apr. 12, 1891.

The reason I believe Albert to also be a son of Lilburn and Lucinda is:

In the 1900 Texarkana, Bowie Co., Texas census I found Lucy Coffey, a widow, with her son Lafayette Coffey and a daughter, Lucretia Tipton in the household.  Lucinda (or Lucy) had been previously married to Berry Tipton and they had a daughter named Lucretia.  We already knew from Lafayette's death certificate that Lucinda Sutton was his mother.

Next door to Lucy and her children was Albert and Lula with their child, Lella (sp?), age 5.  Albert was born in Oct., 1862 in Hope, Hempstead Co. and Lula was born there in Oct., 1873.

I have been unable to find Albert and his family after 1900.  I can only surmise that they must have been deceased sometime between that year and the following 1920 census.  I do recall a cousin telling me that she remembered grandpa Coffee visiting the grave of an Albert Coffee in Bowie Co., but did not recall details.

It appears that my next step in this investigation is a visit to Bowie Co., TX.

Contact me at the above e-mail address if you have any interest in these families.

No comments: