Pages

February 25, 2019

Once again...!



"They" say the third time is the charm! Let's pray that is more than a myth and this time I will be over it for good.

I have, for the third time in about 8 years, been diagnosed by PET scan that I am suffering from Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.  The first time I was diagnosed, my Oncologist told me that there was a 80% chance of cure.  Unfortunately, some 3+ years later I was again diagnosed with that disease.

Each time the type of Lymphoma was different.  First time it was called Diffuse Large B-cell lymphoma (1); the second time was described as Follicular (2).

I came down with this disease at the age of 70 or 71; I am now 79.  Both times, neither the disease nor the treatment have been kind.  I don't expect this time to be much different.

Each time it has resulted in severe loss of appetite and subsequent weight loss, but only after chemotherapy had killed my taste buds and desire for any food.  I lived mostly on grits the first and second time. This time I have rediscovered why I hate oatmeal.

The weight loss has been of some benefit! I no longer have to take BP or diabetes medication!

My appetite along with the taste buds have disappeared and I've lost some weight before any treatment begins.  Not sure what my Oncologist will recommend in the method of treatment this time.  He tells me that there are several new treatments available since my first go-round with this disease, including T-cell transfusion.  We will discuss that more thoroughly at next visit.

In the meantime, many friends and kin are keeping me in their prayers.  I believe that to be the reason my body has not deteoriated more.

Please keep me in your prayers!

Jack







(1)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-cell_lymphoma

(2)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Follicular_lymphoma

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jack, you are certainly in my prayers!